Advice line for frontline advisers and support staff in Scotland

"The advisers are always very knowledgeable and explain things in ways that are easy to understand. It's a great resource for us as front line staff knowing we can get accurate knowledge."

We offer free, independent, expert, up-to-date advice and information to frontline advisers and support staff in Scotland on all aspects of the benefits and tax credits system. This includes: how to claim, what to claim, how to appeal and what to do when things go wrong.

Our advice line is for welfare rights advisers, student advisers, housing staff, health staff, family support staff, social workers, solicitors and other advisers and frontline support staff from organisations in Scotland.

We welcome enquiries from frontline staff of all levels of experience – no matter how simple or complex the question is.

Phone 0141 552 0552
Monday to Thursday, 10am - 4pm, Friday 10am - 12 noon

If you are finding it difficult to get through to the advice line, we recommend calling between 12 and 2, when the phones are often less busy.


We reply to 80 per cent of email enquiries within three working days. If you have not had a reply within 10 working days, please contact us to check that your enquiry has been received.

"Always personal, tailored, accurate advice given."

We work in partnership with Shelter on the ScotWRAS project. Find out more here.

"Advisers are always pleasant and polite, as well as answering my query over the telephone, I generally receive emails with further useful information."

Members of the public

Unfortunately, we do not have the resources to provide direct advice or training to people who are claiming benefits or to their friends and families. If you are a member of the public wanting advice you should contact a local advice centre, law centre or welfare rights unit, where you can get face-to-face advice about your case. If you are a member of the public wanting training, other organisations may be able to help.

You can get information about local centres in the community pages of your phonebook or from a library. You can find your local Citizens Advice Bureau on the Citizens Advice Scotland website