Ask CPAG Online - How do you appeal after a MR?

If you are not satisfied with the decision on your MR application, you can appeal to an independent tribunal. You must appeal in writing directly to HM Courts and Tribunals Service (HMCTS). It is best to use the official forms provided by HMCTS. Use form SSCS1 for appeals against DWP decisions and form SSCS5 for appeals against HMRC decisions (tax credits and child benefit). The address you must send your appeal to is set out on the form.

Alternatively you can send your appeal to HMCTS by fax. In this case, your fax should be the only submission in relation to that appeal, as sending an appeal separately by post as well may cause confusion and delay. The fax number for England and Wales is 0870 739 4108 and for Scotland it is 0870 324 0164.

Your appeal must be received by HMCTS within one month of the date on which you were sent the MR notice (i.e. the date on the notice or the covering letter). The time limit can be extended by up to 12 months if you explain why your appeal was late. Although the time limits run from the date of the MR decision, your appeal is actually against the original decision.