Ask CPAG Online - UC and limited capability

 UC is designed to be paid in most situations where you are on a low income, including both where you are working and where you are unable to work because of illness or disability. So you do not actually have to be unable to work in order to get UC.

However, if you are unable to work that still affects your UC. In particular, it affects the amount of money you get and what you have to do as part of your ‘responsibilities’ whilst on UC.

If the DWP assess you as unable to work because of illness or disability, you are said to have ‘limited capability for work’.  If you are also assessed as being unable to do things like attend interviews about returning to work or undergo training, you are in addition said to have ‘limited capability for work-related activity. Whether or not you have limited capability is assessed under the ‘work capability assessment’.

Universal credit (UC) is gradually replacing most benefits paid for people with a low income. The old ‘legacy’ benefits that UC is replacing include income-related employment and support allowance (ESA), to be entitled to which you must have limited capability for work. You may ‘transfer’ from ESA to UC, in which case there are some special transitional rules that apply regarding the assessment of your limited capability.

Click on the links below for more details.

What is limited capability and how is it assessed?

How does limited capability affect UC?

What if you transfer from ESA to UC?

Can you challenge a decision about your limited capability?