Ask CPAG Online - What are the dispute procedures?

A PIP decision can be changed by supersession, mandatory reconsideration (revision), or appeal. The grounds for disputing a PIP disability decision are covered in What are the grounds for disputing a PIP disability decision?


If you are getting PIP and you think you should be entitled to a higher award because something has changed since you were awarded PIP (e.g. you are getting one component and think you should get both components, or you are getting the standard rate and think you should get the enhanced rate), you can ask for a ‘supersession’. The main ground for supersession is that your condition has deteriorated (a relevant change of circumstances). You can ask for a supersession at any time, but you can only usually get up to one month’s arrears of PIP, unless you can show that ‘special circumstances’ (e.g. illness) made it impractical for you to apply earlier, in which case you can get up to 13 months arrears. . It is best to request a supersession in writing and send in supporting medical evidence. If the DWP refuses to increase your award, you can request a mandatory reconsideration.

Mandatory reconsideration

If you are refused PIP or awarded less than you think you should get (including after a supersession request), you can dispute the decision by requesting a revision, which the DWP refer to as a ‘mandatory reconsideration’. This involves the DWP reconsidering the decision. For more details, see How do you pursue a mandatory reconsideration? If you are unhappy with the outcome, you can appeal to an independent tribunal. You cannot appeal unless you have first asked for a mandatory reconsideration and the DWP has considered your application.


You can appeal against a PIP disability decision to an independent tribunal if you are unhappy with the outcome of your application for a mandatory reconsideration. For more details, see How do you pursue an appeal?’.