Ask CPAG Online - What happens to your housing benefit?

MR does not apply to housing benefit (HB) decisions, but your HB may be affected pending a MR of a decision to stop your jobseeker’s allowance (JSA), employment and support allowance (ESA) or income support (IS). Although cessation of these benefits should not automatically end your entitlement to HB, local authorities often suspend and/or terminate HB claims where a doubt has arisen about your continuing entitlement. Note that if you live in a UC 'full service area',you may not be able to reclaim HB (see UC Natural Migration for details).

You should always, therefore, contact your local HB office to notify them when other benefits stop or start and to confirm your income, to ensure that HB continues in payment. You should also inform the office responsible for any council tax reduction you are receiving.