Ask CPAG Online - When and how can you claim ‘local welfare assistance’?

If you are facing financial difficulties while your benefit is sanctioned (e.g. because you do not qualify for other benefits or cannot get a hardship payment), you may be eligible for ‘local welfare assistance’ scheme (LWAS) payments from your local authority (or devolved administration).

Each authority has its own scheme and rules and the help you get may be emergency payments or vouchers (e.g. for a Foodbank).

The CPAG website has an online LWAS tool which enables you to easily find information about your local scheme by entering your postcode or looking up the full alphabetical list of schemes.