Dealing with destitution
Assisting clients who have been left destitute due to a problem with their benefits has become a regular but challenging task for advisers. This course focuses on the most common causes of this hardship, concentrating on practical steps advisers can take to get benefits into payment and access other sources of support.
The course covers:
- Dealing with delays and suspensions
- Challenging sanctions and getting hardship payments
- Advances of universal credit
- Short-term benefit advances of other benefits
- Accessing the Scottish welfare fund and other sources of help
- Options for clients who have failed the work capability assessment for universal credit or employment and support allowance
The course is suitable for advisers with a working knowledge of benefits wanting to update and consolidate skills and information.