ESA - the problem areas
There are around 2.4 million people in the UK who are designated as sick by the social security system. This course examines some of the problems commonly experienced by the claimants of employment and support allowance (ESA). Its focus is to understand the legal and administrative roots of the problems and suggest practical solutions.
The course covers the following areas:
• Claims and payment pending assessment
• The impact of the abolition of the “6 month rule” on those reclaiming ESA
• Satisfying the work capability assessment (including case law impacts)
• Permitted work
• Conditionality and ‘work related activity’
• Getting benefit restored after termination decisions
• Disputing decisions and payment pending a dispute
• The impact of Universal Credit on sick people
The course is for advisers with a good working knowledge of ESA who regularly deal with ESA claimants.