Mental health and benefits
This popular course is jointly led by Paula John, a mental health officer and social worker with extensive experience in mental health, and Alison Gillies, welfare rights worker with CPAG . It provides a practical and tactical look at working with people with mental health diagnoses to help secure full entitlement to benefits, and to help avoid some of the pitfalls of the system.
The course covers:
- Common diagnoses, symptoms, medication and side-effects
- Barriers to people getting the right entitlement
- Personal independence payment in a mental health context
- Medical tests for employment and support allowance and universal credit
- Tactics for dealing with other benefit issues
A basic knowledge of the benefits system is assumed.
"Now more aware of barriers faced by people with mental health problems."
"Very professional and packed with important information."
Thursday 20 April 2017, 10:00-16:00 Glasgow, £116 Citizens Advice Bureaux, £138 voluntary organisations, £195 statutory/other organisations,Training CPD hours:5