Students and benefits project
This project aims to increase the number of low income students in Scotland in further and higher education and reduce the impact of poverty on students who access such educational opportunities.
- Introduction to benefits for student advisers
- Students and benefits – an update
- Students and benefits – eligibility
- Students and benefits - the basics
- Universal credit and students
Download our student benefits training leaflet.
We can offer any of these courses in-house at your workplace or a venue which suits you.
We produce a range of factsheets on different aspects of benefits for students in Scotland, which you can download below:
- NEW! Universal credit for lone parent students (May 2018)
- Universal credit and students (May 2018)
- Students and tax credits (May 2018)
- Benefits for disabled students (Oct 2017)
- Benefits for young people in further education or training (Oct 2017)
- Parents claiming for young people in further education or training (Oct 2017)
- Benefits and tax credits for students (Oct 2017)
- Employment and support allowance and studying (Oct 2017)
- Benefits and tax credits for lone parent students (June 2018)
- Benefits and tax credits for European students (May 2018)
Benefits for Students in Scotland Handbook 2018/19
We produce an updated and revised edition of the
Benefits for Students in Scotland Handbook early in the academic year.
We also ensure the online version* of this Handbook is updated after April each year with new benefit rates and other changes.
** The latest, 16th edition of this Handbook is out now and is available to order here
The previous 15th edition of this Handbook is available to buy here.
Ebulletin: Students and benefits
Our quarterly ebulletin keeps you up to date with changes in benefits that may affect students. You can read past editions by following the links below, or sign up to the e-bulletin here.
Advice line for advisers
If you work in Scotland and advise students or people thinking about studying, our advice line on welfare benefits and tax credits can help you.
For further information please contact:
Tel: 0141 552 8361
This project is funded by the Scottish Government.