Universal credit for tenants in social housing
Universal credit is the biggest change for generations in how means-tested help is provided, not just for claimants but also for social sector landlords around how they can expect to receive payment for rent.
This course provides an overview of universal credit with a particular focus on how the housing costs element is determined.
The course covers:
- Main features of universal credit, including claiming, calculations and sanctions
- Progress on its phased introduction and what might be different in Scotland
- Liability for rent and occupation of the home
- Size criteria and the ‘bedroom tax’
- Service charges and non-dependant deductions
- Supported accommodation
- Landlords and exceptions to the planned direct payment rules.
The course is particularly aimed at advisers in and providers of social housing.