Widowed Parent’s Allowance: court rules in favour of bereaved mother who was not married to her children’s father
30 August 2018
- Landmark Supreme Court judgement that denying bereavement benefits to unmarried, cohabiting partners with children is incompatible with human rights law
- Widowed Parent’s Allowance is intended to provide for children in the event of a parent’s death
- Court rules couple’s children should not be disadvantaged because their parents did not marry
- DWP and Department for Communities urged to clarify position across UK for those who were previously ineligible
- Two children’s charities intervened in the case.