East Sussex

The local welfare assistance scheme for East Sussex is called the Discretionary East Sussex Support Scheme (DESSS).  It can provide help with:

  • food and utilities (electricity, gas, etc)
  • certain household items in some circumstances

For more information see the East Sussex County Council website, which states that:

You can't get cash or loans through the scheme, but we may pay a supplier for what you need. We may also refer you to a local support service, for example if you need help because of debt issues.

How to apply

You can apply online or by phone or by email. The phone number and email address are on the website. 

If you do not agree with a decision 

The website states that there is no formal right of appeal to a scheme decision but you can complain to Adult Social Care.


East Sussex County Council covers the council areas of: 

  • Eastbourne
  • Hastings
  • Lewes
  • Rother
  • Wealden