The local welfare assistance scheme for Salford is called the Discretionary Support Scheme. See the Salford City Council website for details.
The scheme can provide Immediate Emergency Assistance and Resettlement Grants.
This is short term support for people who are in a crisis, emergency or major disaster situation and who are unable to meet the basic needs of themselves or their family. Help available may include:
- referral for baby food or a food parcel
- essential furniture items, for example a bed, fridge or cooker
- travel costs to attend a job interview or workplace
- help with emergency supply of gas or electric where there is no heating in the household
- referral to another service, agency or fund
These grants are designed to support people to:
- remain in the community, such as preventing people going into care
- set up home in the community, if they are leaving a care or prison environment
- set up home in the community, if they are fleeing domestic abuse
Help available may include essential furniture items, for example a bed, fridge or cooker.
You can download the Salford Discretionary Support Scheme guide1 from the link on the right of this page.
How to apply
- 1. as provided to CPAG in 2014