The local welfare assistance scheme for is called the Surrey Local Assistance Scheme. It can provide help if you need one or both of the following:

  • emergency funds to meet the basic needs of yourself or your dependents
  • support to keep or set up a home in the community

The scheme can award one or both of the following:

  • a one-off payment
  • household goods

For more information see the Surrey County Council website, which includes sections on:

  • What help is available
  • Who can get help
How to apply

You can apply online or get help from Citizens Advice. See the list of participating Citizens Advice Bureaux on the website and see also the Local Assistance Online Guide


Surrey County Council covers the following council areas:

  • Elmbridge
  • Epsom and Ewell
  • Guildford
  • Mole Valley
  • Reigate and Banstead
  • Runnymede
  • Spelthorne
  • Surrey Heath
  • Tandridge
  • Waverley
  • Woking