Local welfare assistance across Hertfordshire is called the Hertfordshire Welfare Assistance Scheme. For more information see the Hertfordshire County Council website, which states that the scheme:

provides help and advice to people in crisis and facing exceptional and unexpected pressures

It also states that you may be eligible if you are intending setting up your own home and are: in a care home, hospital, prison, hostel or fleeing domestic violence.

How to apply

The scheme is run by HertsHelp on behalf of the council. You can apply by phone or email.


Hertfordshire County Council covers the ten council districts of

  • Broxbourne
  • Dacorum
  • East Hertfordshire
  • Hertsmere
  • North Hertfordshire
  • St Albans
  • Stevenage
  • Three Rivers
  • Watford
  • Welwyn Hatfield