The local welfare assistance scheme for Somerset is called the Local Assistance Scheme. For more information see the Somerset County Council website.
The scheme "does not provide cash or loans, but it can help you to get basic essentials. For example:
- Food for yourself and other members of your household.
- Essential items of furniture and bedding.
- Basic equipment for cooking and heating.
- Fuel to cook with or to heat essential rooms.
- Help to make an essential journey that was not expected."
You can download the following guides, both written for councillors in Somerset and provided to CPAG in 2014, from the link on the right hand side of this page:
- general guide to the Local Assistance Fund
- guide to implementation of the Fund
How to apply
Somerset County Council covers the following council areas:
- South Somerset
- Taunton Deane
- West Somerset