Child Poverty Action Group is the leading national charity working to end poverty among children, young people and families in the UK.
Our vision is of a society free of child poverty where all children can enjoy their childhoods and have fair chances in life to reach their full potential.
We aim to fulfil this vision by being:
- Strategic – we raise awareness of the causes, extent and impact of child poverty and by advocating strategies for its eradication and prevention
- Influential – through authoritative, high quality policy work, research and communications and through coalitions and partnerships
- Expert – we produce the definitive and market-leading welfare benefits publications to maximise family incomes. Through advice, test cases and training we provide expert support for frontline advisers (CABs, voluntary organisations, lawyers) on all aspects of social security and tax credit legislation
- An informed voice – we try to bring about positive change for children and families in poverty and ensure the needs and entitlements of children and families are voiced and heard
CPAG’s activities build on our history of strategic policy leadership to identify and campaign for changes in policy, practice and attitudes necessary to end child poverty.
Who we help
CPAG's work benefits a large number of families across the UK:
- our advice lines help in over 3,500 separate cases each year;
- our legal test case work helps thousands of families and advice organisations;
- our publications and training help advice workers all over the UK who each go on to support many families in poverty, in addition to cascading their knowledge to other workers within their organisations.
Outcomes and successes of our current work
- Helping to enshrine the 2020 target to end child poverty into law (Child Poverty Act 2010)
- Hosting the End Child Poverty campaign, including commissioning
- the high profile Institute of Fiscal Studies report showing policies are hitting the poorest the hardest
- a Child Poverty Map of the UK
- Having played a pivotal role in winning the argument that led to the establishment of Child Benefit in the 1970s, we have recently secured improvements to the way Child Benefit will be withdrawn from some families
- The publication of the first comprehensive guide to the new universal credit and identifying an additional £500 million for the universal credit budget for childcare
- Delivering over 725 hours of advice to welfare rights advisers on our specialist advice line in 2013/14 - with consistently high satisfaction ratings
- Winning a significant test case benefiting over 65,000 people who were being asked to repay overpayments made to them in error by the DWP
- Establishment of an unrivalled track record in publishing poverty and rights-related information, journals and publications
Child Poverty Action Group is a registered charity that was set up in 1965. We have offices in London and Glasgow. CPAG has 35 members of staff, 10 based in Scotland. We are governed by an 11-member Board of Trustees.
Child Poverty Action Group is a charity registered in England and Wales (registration number 294841) and in Scotland (registration number SC039339).
Company limited by guarantee registered in England (registration number 1993854).
Registered office: 94 White Lion Street, London N1 9PF.
VAT no. 690 8081 17.