What we do
Child Poverty Action Group works on behalf of the one in four children in the UK growing up in poverty.
It doesn’t have to be like this: we work to understand what causes poverty, the impact it has on children’s lives, and how it can be prevented and solved – for good. (Find out more about child poverty here).
Our vision is of a society free of child poverty, where all children can enjoy a childhood free of financial hardship and have a fair chance in life to reach their full potential.
We develop and campaign for policy solutions to end child poverty. We also provide accurate information, training and advice to the people who work with hard-up families, to make sure they get the financial support they need and carry out high profile legal work to establish and confirm families’ rights.
Who we help
Poverty isn’t inevitable. It is caused by low wages, inadequate benefits, expensive housing and childcare and a lack of decently paid jobs. Drawing on our 50 years of experience and expertise, we devise and promote solutions we know will lift children and families out of poverty.
We also provide trusted and expert information, training and advice to people who work with families to help them access the financial support they need.
We work directly with people in need at foodbanks in London, helping them resolve problems with benefits which have forced them to turn to emergency food aid.
Recently, CPAG has:
- Successfully led lobbying by a coalition of charities to secure £850m for childcare help in Universal Credit for low income families
- Campaigned to protect measures of child poverty based on family income
- Hosted the End Child Poverty coalition and supported its successful campaigns
- Successfully challenged the Government’s plans to scrap funding for local welfare assistance schemes and provided vital information on local schemes
- Produced evidence on the drivers of foodbank use which helped change the terms of the political debate
- Challenged the impact of the ‘Benefit Cap’ on vulnerable families in the Supreme Court
- Won a legal challenge to the impact of the Bedroom Tax on families with severely disabled children
- Established the Early Warning System in Scotland, which collects and analyses case evidence about how welfare changes are affecting the wellbeing of children, their families and the communities and services that support them.
- Worked with schools in Glasgow to identify the costs of a school day and how they can be tackled
- Published our annual series, ‘Cost of a Child’, highlighting the growing gap between family incomes and the costs of raising a child
- Produced our pre-election Programme for Government 2015-2020 (UK) and Programme for the Scottish Government 2016-2021
Child Poverty Action Group is a registered charity that was set up in 1965. We have offices in London and Glasgow. CPAG has 35 members of staff, 10 based in Scotland. We are governed by an 11-member Board of Trustees.
Child Poverty Action Group is a charity registered in England and Wales (registration number 294841) and in Scotland (registration number SC039339).
Company limited by guarantee registered in England (registration number 1993854).
Registered office: 30 Micawber Street, London N1 7TB.
VAT no. 690 8081 17.